Friday, July 10, 2009

Overwhelming, Bleeding City

I just read a news story about a 14 year old boy in Memphis who accidentally shot his sister and then ran away. In another part of town, a pregnant 17 year old girl was caught in the crossfire of a dispute that wasn't hers. The baby's still in critical condition.

At Paul's school, they had a discussion the other day of better ways to control the entering and exiting of the building at the beginning and end of the day, to protect the kids from possible drive by shootings.

With my job, I talk on the phone to so many people who sound just plain beat up and tired. The women who call in for pregnancy appointments often sound like children to me.

I cried when I read the last news story. It was like the last straw--reality hitting.

When Paul and I prayed about what our mission is as a couple, we came up with this: "We want to live in a city and do what we can to make it better."

Right now that feels like a little pink bandaid in the middle of--quite literally--a bullet hole. Right now I look at Memphis and I see a big, gaping, wound. What on earth can we do, if anything, to make it better?

I like Memphis. I'm glad we moved here, and I think God has been leading in this all along. But I feel like I've been transported into a war zone with an ace bandage. This is overwhelming!

God, heal this city.

1 comment:

  1. It's been a long time since I've been to memphis. I do remember it being a tough place. I'm glad you found a job!

    ReplyDelete